View Rahoul Baruah's profile on LinkedIn Basecamp project management and collaboration

The blog of Rahoul Baruah from 3hv Ltd

What's going on?

My name is Rahoul Baruah (aka Baz) and I'm a software developer in Leeds (England).

This is a log of things I've discovered while writing software in Ruby on Rails. In other words, geek stuff.

However, I've decided to put this blog on ice - I would ask you to check out my business blog here (or subscribe here).

01 March, 2006

Licences

I've chosen to licence my SQL Server stored procedure module, plus any of the remaining stuff I publish on here, under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public Licence.

"Why?" I hear you cry, "are you a communist?"


The reasons are quite simple.

1) I need something that is commercially compatible as I intend to use this in my company's commercial creations.
2) I want something that is free - by which I mean that you can take and use in your own products, whether commercial or not. I want you to be able to benefit from my thoughts.
3) I want something that you cannot steal. This is my code. If you alter it in some way to make it better then you cannot hide it away so that only you benefit from it. I want everyone to at least have the option of benefitting from this code.
4) I do not own you. Just because I wrote a bit of code you are using does not give me the right to impose my views on the rest of your code.

In my opinion, and I am not a lawyer so feel free to let me know if I am wrong, the LGPL is the only licence that fits the bill.

Traditional commercial licences do not fit because of 2).
The BSD/MPL-style licences do not fit because of 3).
The GPL does not fit because of 1) and 4).

So I think that proves I'm not a communist.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker