View Rahoul Baruah's profile on LinkedIn Basecamp project management and collaboration

The blog of Rahoul Baruah from 3hv Ltd

What's going on?

My name is Rahoul Baruah (aka Baz) and I'm a software developer in Leeds (England).

This is a log of things I've discovered while writing software in Ruby on Rails. In other words, geek stuff.

However, I've decided to put this blog on ice - I would ask you to check out my business blog here (or subscribe here).

29 June, 2006

Alive

A new Mac Mini arrived the other day. As well as the customary ten minutes from opening the box to checking my email (actually my wife's email), which I was expecting, the Mini had a few surprises.

The first was Rosetta. After copying all my stuff of my Powerbook (it managed to start up for a few minutes) I started running through my important applications. And it truly is seamless switching between x86 (Universal) binaries and PPC binaries. The only time I noticed was the occasional beach-ball.

The second was the speed in general. This is how a Mac should be. It's like OS 9 on my old iMac (still going and now running Panther). My Powerbook was a 1Ghz G4. The Mini is a dual-core 1.6Ghz. So 3x faster, in terms of raw cycles (ignoring all the usual CISC versus RISC rubbish that was all a load of guff anyway - it's not the 90s anymore). Can OSX really have been hogging that much processor power? Obviously, it was.

The third was Tiger (OSX 10.4). I never bothered to upgrade, after reading the reports of Spotlight slowing the machine down. The Powerbook was occasionally sluggish, not slow per se, but I didn't want anything to push it over the edge. Plus Panther was pretty good. But Tiger is better. Spotlight is great - I use it a lot. The Dashboard is a bit of a gimmick, but it's nice to have a one-hot-key weather forecast. The speed, as noted above, is not an issue.

All in all, pretty damn good for 500 quid.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker