View Rahoul Baruah's profile on LinkedIn Basecamp project management and collaboration

The blog of Rahoul Baruah from 3hv Ltd

What's going on?

My name is Rahoul Baruah (aka Baz) and I'm a software developer in Leeds (England).

This is a log of things I've discovered while writing software in Ruby on Rails. In other words, geek stuff.

However, I've decided to put this blog on ice - I would ask you to check out my business blog here (or subscribe here).

27 June, 2007

Steve Jobs is a one trick pony!!!

My iPod has recently been relegated to a secondary music player. Sort of. Basically my 3G iPod died a while back so was replaced by a 2Gb Nano. Not the same thing at all - time for lots of smart playlists tracking "last played" and standard playlists of favourites to fit what I wanted into 2Gb. Until I realised that I was actually coping reasonably well in such a small space. Annoying when I decide I want to listen to "Appetite for Destruction" in its entirety and it's only got "My Michelle" on it (rubbish), but for the most part it works a treat when you stick it on shuffle.

I recently got a K610i Sony Ericsson phone - not a Walkman, but pretty similar (the same music player, but lacking a radio, the headphones aren't as good and it doesn't look as good). Listening to music on there I noticed that the sound quality is noticeably better. I also noticed that a 2Gb memory stick only costs twenty quid. So I bought one, copied my tunes over (even my iTunes store purchases are re-ripped to Mp3) and enjoyed. Apart from scroll-wheeling through 2Gb of songs is easy. Down-buttoning through 2Gb of songs is not. (Slight aside: the problems with this setup are my play counts aren't updated, screwing up my smart playlists - although the iTunes 7.2 debacle has blown them away - and I still need the iPod for in the car).

Likewise, I remember using a simple GUI on my Commodore 64, controlled by a (digital) joystick. It did the job but it took forever to move from one side of the screen to the other. Compare that to using a mouse on a Mac.

And finally, browsing the web on my K610i (or even the awful Windows Mobile phone I had before) is acceptable, given the small screen. But it is a right pain in the arse to navigate through a page of links a down-button at a time.

In all three cases, his Steveness has taken an interface with slow, clunky navigation and made it fast and accurate. One trick, repeated three times.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker