View Rahoul Baruah's profile on LinkedIn Basecamp project management and collaboration

The blog of Rahoul Baruah from 3hv Ltd

What's going on?

My name is Rahoul Baruah (aka Baz) and I'm a software developer in Leeds (England).

This is a log of things I've discovered while writing software in Ruby on Rails. In other words, geek stuff.

However, I've decided to put this blog on ice - I would ask you to check out my business blog here (or subscribe here).

22 February, 2006

Transition to Intel

It's been a while since I've posted - I've been mainly doing Delphi work recently so there's not been much to report on the Rails front.

However, in the next week or so I will have the 'All-singing, All-dancing WEBrick Windows Service Rails Application Installer' available for you to play with. This will use the excellent InnoSetup installer package to create a single Setup application that installs Ruby, your application and some patches, and sets up WEBrick as a Windows Service so that your application is always available. I've got a few low-volume sites to install in the next few months so I figured that WEBrick will do the job - although I am hoping to do the same for a FastCGI/IIS installation at some point.

Anyway, the purpose of today's post is basically a rant ... over the last few months my 12" Powerbook has slowly been dying a death. I've carted it around to and from the office every day for two years, it's had kids climbing on it while I try and use it, it's got massive dents in the side and the CD drive has died.

And as my day job is Delphi and SQL Server I had a crappy Dell desktop in the office that I used for development and my Powerbook for everything else (emails, writing documentation, drawing charts and diagrams). But I persuaded work to buy me a Dell laptop (actually we had an insurance claim pending so I got lucky) and now I carry a widescreen Dell Latitude in my bag. The Powerbook has been retired to a desktop machine at home (coupled with a 1280 resolution monitor) - it occasionally struggles to start up but for the most part it is much happier.

However, I am not. Windows XP is not bad. Windows applications are not bad. But I definitely swear at the Dell tens times more than I ever did at the Powerbook. That's the difference between OSX and Windows.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker