View Rahoul Baruah's profile on LinkedIn Basecamp project management and collaboration

The blog of Rahoul Baruah from 3hv Ltd

What's going on?

My name is Rahoul Baruah (aka Baz) and I'm a software developer in Leeds (England).

This is a log of things I've discovered while writing software in Ruby on Rails. In other words, geek stuff.

However, I've decided to put this blog on ice - I would ask you to check out my business blog here (or subscribe here).

07 April, 2006

Update on the IIS installer

I officially have permission from my boss to release this as open-source (I know, I ought to have asked first). I also have a first draft Delphi ISAPI application that effectively proxies each request to a single WEBrick instance running on the same machine.

Next stage is to tidy up the reverse proxy (any embedded links contain http://server:3000/controller/action) and then add a simple load-balancer (round robin to begin with) so it can pass requests off to different WEBrick instances in turn.

Then I'll probably rewrite the entire thing as a .NET HTTPModule - precisely because I want all you lucky lucky people to join in, test the bugger and get it working everywhere, all the time - and because Delphi is dying. I'll also need to rewrite the all-singing, all-dancing WEBrick installer in order to get it to install multiple processes/services - and, if I get the chance, I may even write a Mongrel equivalent.

Ideally, I would like to get at least the Delphi version ready by the middle of May as I have a deadline of then. So hold tight ... it's on its way.

3 comments:

Baz said...

Incidentally, this post http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/60871, suggests using Apache as a back-end and getting IIS to forward a request to that. Worth a go I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog! I'm new to rails and IIS, but might be working somewhere this summer which is IIS only and I want to use rails. Any reason you are thinking HTTPHandler over HTTPModule?

Baz said...

Sorry - my mistake, I meant HTTPModule. I've corrected the post.

eXTReMe Tracker