View Rahoul Baruah's profile on LinkedIn Basecamp project management and collaboration

The blog of Rahoul Baruah from 3hv Ltd

What's going on?

My name is Rahoul Baruah (aka Baz) and I'm a software developer in Leeds (England).

This is a log of things I've discovered while writing software in Ruby on Rails. In other words, geek stuff.

However, I've decided to put this blog on ice - I would ask you to check out my business blog here (or subscribe here).

07 April, 2006

The old and the new Classic

Mr Gruber agrees with me (of course, he steals all my ideas!).

Just a word on the old Classic - I was totally failing to install my old copy of Photoshop 6 (no cash to upgrade so Classic it is) - the installer kept hanging, searching for files on my main drive. It had me stumped till I stopped to think about it. This Powerbook has never had OS9 on it (it may be getting on a bit but it's not that old) so I took a guess it was disk permissions (Classic is just another application to OSX and was running under my privileges).

So I opened Terminal, typed cd and dragged the CD to the terminal window (so it auto-completed the full path for me) and hit return. Then a quick ls to reveal the Photoshop installer, and finally a sudo open Install\ Adobe\ Photoshop\ 6 - type in my password and Photoshop ran without a hitch. Not exactly Mac-like but it works.

Although, thinking about it I'm not quite sure how - Classic was started by me, pre-sudo, and runs as a single process within OSX. Then I started the Photoshop installer after sudo'ing - presumably this must be a real process within OSX (and hence it gets my sudo'ed privileges) rather than what I originally thought, which is a pseudo-process within the Classic process (and hence getting the non-sudo'ed privileges from Classic). Who knows what it will be like running SQL Server over OSX!

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker