View Rahoul Baruah's profile on LinkedIn Basecamp project management and collaboration

The blog of Rahoul Baruah from 3hv Ltd

What's going on?

My name is Rahoul Baruah (aka Baz) and I'm a software developer in Leeds (England).

This is a log of things I've discovered while writing software in Ruby on Rails. In other words, geek stuff.

However, I've decided to put this blog on ice - I would ask you to check out my business blog here (or subscribe here).

06 August, 2006

Quick Update

DHH is celebrating two years of Rails. I'd like to thank him. I'm sure most people reading this would agree that Rails has probably made the life of a web-developer much better. A quiet satisfaction at things I've written using it. Spending time to make sure it is done right, rather than rushing to have something, anything, to show to the customer. names = People.find(:all).collect { |person| person.name }. I know, that last one was Smalltalk. I still love those Smalltalk collections.

The reason for the lack of any posts recently are three-fold. One it was recently mine, and my dad's birthday. It was his 60th so I've been away for a while. And it's been very hot for England (in the thirties/nineties depending upon whether you are metric/imperial). Two, I've also been very very busy at work. Mainly Rails stuff (don't tell the boss) with some deployments coming up soon. So I'm preparing to try out RForward in a live environment, probably with Mongrel (sorry Tim, I promise I'll try and get to the bottom of your problem as well). Thirdly, we have had a reorganisation at work and my job is changing to one of writing functional specifications and handling product roadmaps. I'm not too bothered about that - I like writing and I like to think I'm good at it. I won't miss programming in .Net. I won't miss programming in Delphi. I'm not allowed to use Rails (even though I still do as I get more done). However, the stupidity of the Rails decision, in the face of rational, well-thought out arguments (well, I thought they were rational and well-thought out but I could be wrong) has made me want to do something else with my life. I've got some plans. They involve Rails. They also involve a fair amount of PHP (as I will need to leverage some open source). They definitely will not involve .Net, IIS or Sql Server. But I don't know how long they will take to reach fruition. So there will be more RForward to come. Just not forever.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker