View Rahoul Baruah's profile on LinkedIn Basecamp project management and collaboration

The blog of Rahoul Baruah from 3hv Ltd

What's going on?

My name is Rahoul Baruah (aka Baz) and I'm a software developer in Leeds (England).

This is a log of things I've discovered while writing software in Ruby on Rails. In other words, geek stuff.

However, I've decided to put this blog on ice - I would ask you to check out my business blog here (or subscribe here).

25 October, 2007

My favourite plug-ins

You know how it is - there are some things that you are just not comfortable without. My phone in my back pocket, my wallet in my front pocket, the key in the front door when I go to bed (just in case there's a fire and we have to make a hasty exit), the dog under my feet (tripping me up), one of my large collection of jackets (current favourite: leather biker jacket).

And so it is with Rails projects. Before I do anything I do the following:

  • Load the Exception Notification plug-in and configure it with my email address
  • Load the form_test_helper plug-in so I can confidently test my forms
  • Load the ARTS plug-in so I can confidently test my AJAX user interfaces
  • Load Markaby so my views are beautifully coded and semantically correct
  • Create the Rails session store within the database (rake db:sessions:create)


Of these, the one I really can't do without is Markaby (although ARTS comes a close second). I don't know what it is (apart from Why the Lucky Stiff is genius). I can't stand looking at rhtml files any more - too many angle brackets for a start. Instead, my mabs are things of beauty - and as I write the code to produce the views, I find that they are more semantically correct as well. For example:


div.row do
label "Email Address: "
text_field :person, :email_address
p.explanation "Please supply a valid email address so that we can send you a confirmation email"
end


As I'm writing the Markaby code, class names like "explanation" seem to fit naturally - the code reads better, the HTML is semantic and the CSS is simple.

What more could you want?

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker